How to Subscribe to School and District Calendars
Posted: | Updated:
Olympic Hills and Seattle Public Schools Calendars
How to Subscribe
Families can now subscribe to the entire district and school website online calendars. Your personal calendars update automatically when a change is made or when a new event is added.
- Scroll to the bottom of the calendar page:
- Click Subscribe to calendar and then select an option.
School Year Calendar
2023-24 School Year Dates
View start and end times for all schools. All schools have a 75-minute early release on Wednesdays, except the first day of school.
September 6 First day of school for 1st – 12th grade students. Sept. 6 is not an early release Wednesday. Early release will occur every Wednesday except for the first week of school.
September 11 First day of school for preschool and kindergarten students
October 13 State In-service Day (no school for students)
November 10 Veterans Day Observed (no school)
November 20-22 Elementary conference days (no school for elementary and K-8 schools; varies by school)
November 23-24 Thanksgiving and Native American Heritage Day (no school)
December 15 1-hour early dismissal
December 18-January 1, 2024 Winter break (no school)
January 15 Martin Luther King Jr. Day (no school)
February 19-23 Mid-winter break, including Presidents Day (no school)
April 8-12 Spring break (no school)
May 27 Memorial Day (no school)
June 19 Juneteenth (no school)
June 21 Last day of school (1-hour early dismissal).
- Potential emergency closure makeup days are June 24-26.
2023-24 Term Dates
Semesters: High Schools, Middle Schools, K-8
- Semester 1 September 6 – January 31
- Semester 2 February 1 – June 21
Quarters: High Schools, Middle Schools, K-8
- Quarter 1 September 6 – November 8
- Quarter 2 November 9 – January 31
- Quarter 3 February 1 – April 17
- Quarter 4 April 18 – June 21
Trimesters: Elementary and K-8 Schools (students in kindergarten – grade 5)
- Trimester 1 September 6 – December 4
- Trimester 2 December 5 – March 20
- Trimester 3 March 21 – June 21
The 2023-24 School Year Calendar has been approved by SPS and SEA. The Seattle School Board approved the 2023-24 SPS Calendar on January 18, 2023.
Approval and Planning School Year Dates
In January 2023, families and community provided feedback on SPS school year dates. Thank you to those who shared ideas! Read more about the community feedback for the school year calendar.
The school calendar is developed collaboratively with SEA and the dates are agreed upon in the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The formula to schedule key dates in the CBA states that the first day of school will be the first Wednesday of September.
The key dates formula was originally bargained in the 2015-18 CBA as a tool for staff and families so there would be consistency around calendars and dates weren’t arbitrarily set.
During the 2019 bargaining period, multiple joint workgroups between SPS and SEA were established, with one specifically organized to address inclusive considerations related to religious and cultural observations and practices. This workgroup developed supplemental materials and guidance to go along with the traditional school year calendar.
While not all religious/cultural events can be accommodated for, this guidance was created to serve as a reference for schools, families, and communities to be aware of potential schedule conflicts and excused absences and/or to make appropriate accommodations and supports for students and families on days of religious/cultural observances.
The religious and cultural observances identified in both the 2021-22 and 2022-23 Religion and Religious Accommodations documents, also highlights observances and traditions which involve fasting, which may have an impact on students’ abilities to perform at their highest level or be a reason for an absence from class.
Key Dates in the CBA
The below dates were negotiated as a part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).
- First day of school: The first Wednesday in September.
- State In-service Day: As recognized by the state and typically the second Friday in October.
- Winter break: At least 10 weekdays, ending after New Year’s Day. If New Year’s Day falls or is observed on a Monday, students will return to school on the next day (Tuesday).
- Mid-winter break: Presidents’ Day and the following four workdays.
- Spring break: Five days starting the second Monday in April.
- Snow make-up days: At least three snow days shall be scheduled and additional snow make-up days may be added if necessary
- Labor Day (when school begins before this day in September)
- Veterans Day (November)
- Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving (November)
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (January)
- Presidents’ Day (February)
- Memorial Day (May)
- Contractual Days: The four days immediately preceding the start of school, except for the Friday before Labor Day
- Conferences: Three consecutive days for conferences immediately preceding Thanksgiving Day
- Collaboration and Professional Learning Time. The district will schedule one seventy-five (75) minute early release every Wednesday except for the first week of school or if the last day of school is a Wednesday
Read the Collective Bargaining Agreement between SPS and Seattle Education Association (SEA) Employees 2022-25