Olympic Hills focuses on standards-aligned and data-driven instruction for all students. We use a workshop model of instruction through which students receive lessons from the teacher in various content areas, as well as differentiated opportunities for small group and individual instruction. Many of our students also receive services for English language development, Special Education, and Advanced Learning opportunities. Our master schedule is structured to provide staggered content and intervention blocks that support differentiation while also maintaining access to rigorous grade-level content in the large group classroom setting.
Olympic Hills is a School of Promise site in alignment with Seattle Public School’s Strategic Plan focused on our Black boys. Staff are trained in the science of reading as our instructional framework emphasizing decoding, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. As a School of Promise site, we work to increase access to books and literacy to our students and their families.
We are also a Families, Education, Preschool and Promise Levy school in partnership with the City of Seattle. Our Levy work is focused on our Latnix students through three initiatives:
- professional development on the essential practices for language development,
- K-1 literacy intervention, and
- 3-5 English language programming for math and college & career readiness.
- Common Core State Standards
- Center for Collaborative Classroom (literacy)
- Engage NY/Zearn (math)
- Amplify Science
- Instruction for English Language Learners
- Special Education services on continuum with three programs (Focus, Access, and Resource)
- Advanced Learning Opportunity program
- Otter Block – small group reading instruction
- Advanced math groups (2nd – 5th grade)
- Morning Meeting based on Responsive Classrooms
- RULER – Refer to the Seattle Public School RULER Approach page for more information.
- Social Justice Curriculum
- Second Step
- Instrumental music
- Girls on the Run
- Green Team
- After School Tutoring – Olympic Hills Academy
- Gardening, etc.
Family & Community Partnerships
- Beginning of year family connection meetings
- Two-day Jump Start for kindergarteners
- Ongoing family connections
- PTA events
- Spanish Family Council
- City of Seattle
- Meadowbrook Community Center
- Seattle Teacher Residency
- City Year
- UW Pipeline Tutoring
- Team Read
- Page Ahead
- Center for Human Services
- Boys & Girls Club
- Hunger Intervention Program